Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun...
Well, that's exactly what we're up to at the moment, as you may know we breed our own rabbits for the pot/freezer and have found that they are a little partial to the type of very fine stalked grass that grows on our two acres.
So after having let the stuff grow to a suitable height it was time to consider getting it all in before the weather turns for the worst.
I cut the stuff a couple of days ago, OK a couple of acres doesn't sound like a lot but it's a reasonable amount when cutting with a ride-on mower. Don't have the funds to go out and buy lots of hay making equipment so we're doing it the old fashioned way. One little problem I had to get over was with the side-ejection of the mower, it was simply spreading it too far and wide - so the inventor part of my brain was activated (probably the first time in a LOOOOONG time) and with the use of a plastic tray (the type that you get from garden centres which contained 6 plants in the black pots) and a couple of clamps I fashioned quick a natty gadget. Because it was a 'grid' and it was placed onto the end of the ejector funnel it allowed the dust and seeds to flow straight through but stopped the actual grass cuttings. This was great because it then dropped to the ground in lovely straight lines - just like you would see after a combine has been through the wheat fields.
Now after a couple of really good sunny days we've started collecting it all up. As I mentioned we don't have mechanical aids to do this so out comes the trusty grass rake, the trailer and plenty of storage boxes.
Yes I know it sounds a daft way to do it, but it works for us and best of all it 'don't cost a penny'...!
However the down-side of all this is that it's bloody hot work... ah well I suppose it'll work off that pizza I swallowed last night, yum!